guidance for employers

Brexit will mean that there are a number of changes that you will need to be aware of, whether that's travelling for business purposes or employing EU nationals in your business.

Skip Navigation LinksHome  >  Helping businesses  >  Brexit  >  Guidance for employers

Business Travel

To visit Europe after Brexit there are things you will need to do before you travel, including checking if your passport is valid through to driving permits for certain countries. Business travel includes activities such as travelling for meetings and conferences, providing services (even with a charity), and touring art or music. Find out more on the website.

Employing EU Nationals

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. If your application is successful, you’ll get either settled or pre-settled status.

The UK government has reached an agreement with the EU that will protect the rights of EU citizens and their family members living in the UK. It has also reached an agreement with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, and a separate agreement with Switzerland.

These agreements mean that most citizens from the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland will need to apply to stay in the UK, and continue living their lives here as they do now.

The settled status section of the website includes an online tool to help you find out what to do and when.

The Home Office has published a list of charities and voluntary organisations across the UK which are being funded to provide help and information to vulnerable EU, EEA and Swiss citizens applying to the EU Settlement Scheme.

The 57 organisations are located across the UK to ensure services are available to those who most need it. Please feel free to make contact with relevant organisations in your area to explore how you might work together effectively. Find out about community support for vulnerable citizens on the website.

The Home Office has also published a postcode checker tool which you can use to find your nearest ID scanner locations:

Key existing resources for local government are listed on the local government Brexit Preparedness page and include: